The 10 worst excuses for filing your tax return late
Just in case you missed them – as published by HMRC – here is the top 10 list for filing your tax return late:
1. My pet dog ate my tax return… and all the reminders.
2. I was up a mountain in Wales, and couldn’t find a postbox or get an internet signal.
3. I fell in with the wrong crowd.
4. I’ve been traveling the world, trying to escape from a foreign intelligence agency.
5. Barack Obama is in charge of my finances.
6. I’ve been busy looking after a flock of escaped parrots and some fox cubs.
7. A work colleague borrowed my tax return, to photocopy it and didn’t give it back.
8. I live in a camper van in a super-market car park.
9. My girlfriend’s pregnant.
10. I was in Australia.
Failing to meet the 31st January deadline and filing your tax return late will cost you with an immediate penalty of £100. Penalties continue at £10 per day thereafter and you could reach £1200 within 6 months. If you need help with filing your tax return then contact us.